As usual, click any photo to bring up a larger version.  

Framing The Splatter


A few weeks ago I made a painter's easel and I intentionally splattered the frame with paint. As part of that project I made this test piece to try out paint splattering.

I decided that I kind of liked the look, so I decided to save this from the trash and get it mounted and framed. I am just making this up as I go along, so I doubt this is proper "archival quality" mounting, but then I'm pretty sure my artwork is not archival quality either. I just want it to look nice on my wall for a few years.

I found a piece of thin plywood to mount the paper artwork onto, and I also pulled out some of my "extra" framing stock. I made this stock last year sometime when I was framing something else. I usually make extra as insurance, but it is sure nice to have it available for a quick simple project like this. It turns this from a full day project to one that could be done in a few hours.

The first thing I did was cut the new plywood backer board to size.

I was concerned that the paper of the artwork was very thin, and you might see the yellow/blond plywood through it. So I found some thick white paper that we have. (this is surplus price signs from a local store that my wife was given a few years back. It's yellow on one side and solid white on the other.) I applied some spray adhesive and glued it to the front of my piece of plywood. I then used a utility knife to cut off the excess paper.

I then applied spray adhesive to the back of the artwork and pressed the new plywood backer board, with it's white cardstock face, into place.

I then trimmed off the excess of this as well.

I used a straight bit on my router table to make a dado along the inside of the frame stock, for receiving the artwork.

My first major tool, like many other hobbyists, was a tablesaw. So I got used to using it for my mitering operations. I do own a mitersaw now, but it is not a particularly super quality unit. So I still tend to cut my picture frames on the tablesaw. I use this picture frame jig. This cuts a perfect 45 degree miter onto wood. I based this jig off of a Steve Ramsay (Woodworking For Mere Mortals) miter jig.

I then used -- GASP -- my nail gun to assemble the frame.

I don't have a strap clamp / picture frame clamp. I should probably buy one, but they're like $50, so I always talk myself out of it. I used 23 guage pin nails, one in each corner. These are so tiny that the holes practically disappear. Also, this picture is going to hang in my shop, and I know I'll never care.

I cut a piece of thin plexiglass to serve as a protective front on the picture.

A quick coat of spray lacquer was applied in the back yard. And the neighbours dog had a few things to say about that!

Removing the protective coating on the plexiglass as it is installed in the frame.

And a few screws hold the artwork in place.


And here are a few photos of the finished piece, added to the wall of my shop. I know this is not a terribly exciting project, but it was quick and fun. I was very happy to be able to save something that was destined for the trash pile, and turn it into something that I am happy to have hanging on my wall.

Some of the Tools/Supplies Used In This Project: (Affiliate Links)


Thanks for stopping by! If you found this useful, please consider supporting my work!   Ways To Support Me ... »

See Also:

Calendar Frame

Picture Frames Build

Hello Internet Nail and Gear Plaque

Epoxy T-Shirt Experiment

Spaceman Spiff Picture Frame