If you are interested in building your own version of this project,
I have a set of detailed plans
available for purchase for a modest price.
This includes Measured Drawings as well as Sketchup files for BOTH
styles of table discussed on this web page and also a
worksheet you can use to help you resize the table design
to your own preferred size of table.
Read More... »
As a quick recap... I started this table over the Christmas Holidays,
and by early January it was complete except for finishing with lacquer.
I needed to wait for the weather to warm up enough that I could apply
lacquer in our garage. The instructions on the can of brushing lacquer
were that a minimum temperature of 13c (55 Fahrenheit) was required.
THREE MONTHS LATER...
It was a long cold winter and I was getting more than a little impatient
to finish this table! It finally warmed up in mid March enough that we
could, with the help of a space heater, consider applying lacquer. My
son helped me carry the table up to our attached garage and I got busy.
I used a natural bristle brush, a good respirator mask, and started
applying the lacquer. It applied thick and clear. A lamp was
necessary (visible in the top-left corner of the photo) to cast a bright
light across the project. The finish is so clear that it is important to
bend frequently and look across the project, so that the bright
directional light will reveal what parts are still unfinished.
(This is more visible in the video.)
I applied two coats of finish to the bottom, and three coats to the
top. The lacquer dried quickly, and almost completely smooth. There
were maybe a handful of small bubbles after each coat. I used some 400
grit sandpaper to buff those spots out. After the final coat there were
2-3 bubbles that required sanding and then some spot touch-ups with
I'm pretty satisfied with the quality and clarity of the finish.
But I would never, ever, do this again at this time of year. It
was warm enough to apply finish in the garage, but it was NOT warm
enough to open the big garage door, so the stink of the off-gassing
finish gradually penetrated partway into our attached house. It was not
pleasant. Once the final coat of finish was dry we opened the garage
door as often as possible to allow the garage to air out.
I left the table top for a further three days in the garage to off-gas,
and three more after that down in my basement shop to harden up. The
can recommends waiting seven days after finishing before putting it into
We then carried it up to the kitchen and laid the top upside down on the
floor, with an old flannel sheet for padding.
The leg-and-apron assembly was then brought in and I measured it to be
centred on the table top, and placed some painter's tape to mark the
corners in case it got bumped.
I used these metal table clips (From Lee Valley Tools) to attach the
table top to the base. They fit into the slot that I milled along the
top of the apron, and are screwed to the table top.
The next two photos show part of the process of drilling pilot holes and
attaching the clips with screws. I probably used too many; I just
scattered them around on the apron.
Last two screws being attached. The label is now a bit wrong -- I
started the table in 2014, but did not finish it. Oops.
And that is about the end of this project page. There was not much to
show here, as it was just the lacquer finishing that needed to be done
to complete the project. Much more information is on the preceding two
project pages. Links below!
Here are a few more photos...
click this link
for information as to how you can purchase a set of plans
for building your own version of this project.